Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Beginning of being debt free and menu plans

I am about to embark on the debt free plan, tomorrow is payday and the beginning of my journey. We have always been what we thought was frugal but seemed to not be making a whole lot of progress so I am hoping this keeps me focused. My first big step was yesterday when I just told my friends at work that I from this point forward would have $40 a month to go out to eat with them on. This will be my "fun" money and so if we go out once a week for $10 lunches then that is all I can do. They were fairly understanding although it seems like a low amount to some of them since they eat lunch out everyday. It is stress relief and "fun" for them and they are able to spend the money on it where I am not.

My other point of the day is that our meals at home have actually been better since I have started the $200 challenge and my leftover group on FB. It has forced me to be more creative and get out of a rut. Since the groceries have to last and I do not want to waste any leftovers I have tried some amazing recipes. I will admit that some of them have been flops but they are few and far between. I have also dug through some cookbooks I had on the shelf and tried some great stuff from them. The older cookbooks I have also had some great dishes in them that normally we would purchase as processed meals. There has been some awesome beef stroganoff at our house without any processed ingredients and it was amazingly easy, I discovered also how easy making fried rice is and that has been a great go to meal with left over rice and small amounts of veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment