Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Grocery Shopping for the First Time on the New Budget

I need to clear the air on a couple of issues I see. My old budget of $200 also included any household supplies, dog food, diapers and toiletries we needed. Food Stamps does not cover these items so I will still have to keep some cash in the budget to cover these items, the $89 budget will cover food. I obviously am not going to still spend $200 with $111 in toiletries. There will also be at least once a month when I spend cash on produce as I still want to participate in my produce co-op. It has been a great way to get a large quantity of produce without breaking the budget so I forsee it as a way to supplement the food stamps without adding a lot to the budget. I am going to need to feel this out for a couple of months before I see how much I need to budget for these 2 things.

That is out in the open now so on to my weekend and the trip to Kroger for my first time to use food stamps. I spent part of Friday getting coupons together and going through the ads to plan my strategy. I was trying to purchase as little as I could to get through this month since the amount that I do not use carries over and next month I would have more to spend. Saturday morning came and the munchkin went with his dada to Lowe's to build another balsa wood creation. It was a lovely picture frame which he gifted to me once he was home. While they were gone the tiny one and I hung 2 loads of laundry out on the line and worked on cleaning up the house. I  took both of the boys to the library for our weekly visit and then home to play outside and plant my Valentine gift from Phillip. I hung out another load of laundry before Logan (the munchkin) had to go with Phillip to get his hair cut. While they were doing this Clark (the tiny one) and I made our trip to Kroger by the house. The area I live in is very working class so I felt more stares for the amount of coupons I had than the lonestar card I was using to pay for the items. Below was supposed to be a picture of the food items I purchased and the receipt. My phone however is eating pictures and although I can see it on my phone it will not upload. I did buy some non-food items(dog food and a package of treats) which I paid for out of pocket. I did not take a picture of these items as I had not completely thought this through on Saturday.

The total for food stamps is $50.79 but I ended up getting $2.97 back for an over charge in foodstuffs. I also got back $4.00 for an overcharge in non food items so my totals are $47.82 in food stamps spent and $13.84 in non food items. I am going to have to figure out why some pictures will not come off my phone and for purposes of this blog start using my actual camera. Saturday wrapped up with grocery put up, baths and books. Logan came home with what he is calling his zebra hair ( a fauxhawk). I think only my child would consider this zebra hair instead of shark hair. Sunday was another day and another post as well as Monday when I had to go get the refunds and came out with some stellar deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment