Thursday, February 19, 2015

Wednesday grocery trip and dinner

My plans to not stop and get bread last night were changed when  I called home and they asked if I would stop and get some. I originally stopped at Target as I wanted to check the selection of baby food for the tiny one. That was a bust, I found a very small section of the jars which is what WIC will pay for so I checked out with the fruit leather I found on clearance and headed toward the Kroger by my house. I tried hard to just get the baby food and bread and get out but then I thought about what I was going to fix for dinner and wanted to do a pass by the clearance section and see if there were any other budget stretchers. There was really nothing I needed in the clearance but then I remembered the Nutella was on sale and I have a coupon making it nearly free, they of course are still out of Nutella. By the time I made the rounds of the store and used some coupons I got out for $17.30 in food stamps. This trip was emotional as I am trying not to spend all that I have on the card so some will carry over to next month, therefore purchases have to be well thought out. The plan was to grill some bratwurst I had in the freezer as well as some hot dogs since I am the only one who likes brats. Usually when I fix hotdogs I make homemade mac and cheese which is one of the munchkin's favorite meals. Knowing there was no Velveeta at home and how expensive it has become I decided to just get a boxed mac and cheese. This is where I started to get emotional, the boxed mac and cheese is what I grew up on and still guiltily like but the munchkin does not. The boxes are also almost $1 and for just a few dollars more I could buy the generic Velveeta and have some on hand for future meals. It was such a tough choice, the cheaper option for 1 meal or spend more than I wanted to and get more meals out of it. The logical me ended up getting the generic Velveeta which is why my total is what it is. The choice would have been worse if I did not have enough on the card which is where I may have put us next month. Despite all my indecision at the store I got home and grilled the brats and hotdogs for dinner. I will bring the leftover brats for lunches next week, wrapped up and put in the freezer they will last.

The brightness in all of this besides baby kisses and school stories last night was the trade left on the porch. For a baby sling, which I had traded for originally I received these items.
These will really help stretch the budget next month, this is why I love my BBT group.

No comments:

Post a Comment