Friday, February 13, 2015

Working Poor and the past few months

I have not made a legitimate post in a few months, and a lot has happened in that time. My honey was laid off which we knew was coming as well as I had a baby which we also knew was coming. What we did not know was that we would be going on 14 months now of unemployment. I have kept my job and benefits which has been a godsend but my honey has been a stay at home dad/full time student for the last 14 months. Being able to cut the time the kids are at the sitter has saved us a ton of money which until recently I had been socking away in our savings account and paying off some small bills. I did apply for and receive WIC once we knew the unemployment was certain. This saved us a ton on groceries/formula and I am forever grateful for this option. We were hoping this was the only assistance we would need as Phillip was going to get a job quickly.....again that was our hope. He finished the police academy in December and had all of his past qualifications reinstated so he thought another job would be imminent. Fast forward 2 more months and he is still looking daily while continuing with classes to get his Bachelor's. This continued uncertainty and unemployment has wrecked the savings we had and while we are not destitute we are now officially among the working poor. I applied for and received some food stamp benefits which will free up the $200 I was spending per month to go toward our house or car payments. The new budget for food is tighter than I thought I could ever work with, $89 a month is what the state deems I need to feed a family of 4. In fairness I think they do not count the tiny one since WIC is still helping with baby food and formula. We are busting every stereotype out there for those who are on public assistance. I have a Bachelor's degree and a professional license. I work in a good job that I have been at for 12 years with excellent benefits. This job has always allowed me to have health insurance on the family and this year before we knew what was coming I opted for dental and vision insurance also. As witnessed by this blog we are not huge spenders and I try to be responsible with my spending. Until our situation changes this blog will morph into how I am making due with $89 a month in groceries. This month I actually have $112 to spend as the card just made it to me yesterday and they had prorated some of January on there. Totals and hopefully pictures to come on how I have made this last. If you are looking at the date you know that I have already made January's $200 stretch clear through mid-February while I waited for them to issue the card.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to see how you feed a family of 4 on $89 per month.

    ReplyDelete