Monday, February 27, 2017

Books Jan 24th Through Feb 27th



First category of books for me was audio books. I had to recheck it but I did finish White Trash: 400-Year Untold History of Class in America, I have since recommended this book to all my Facebook friends. It was a long listen but ultimately worth it, it was well researched and interesting. After finishing this one I listened to All There Is: Love Stories From Storycorps which is another I would recommend! It made me ugly cry several times. I immediately started FoxCatcher: The True Story of My Brother's Murder, John Du Pont's Madness, and the Quest for Olympic Gold which completely the opposite of the other book's is not one I would recommend. It is not that the story is bad but it was not what it was billed as. If Mark basically wrote an autobiography that included the story of his brother's murder and that is what title and blurb should have said. I have just an hour left in this one and should finish it up while driving home tonight.


I reread a couple of Kindle books this month and then another in a series I have been reading came out. I finished Blaze in one day, it was good....not as good as some in the series but good.


In the world of print books I finished The American Way of Eating: Undercover at WalMart, Applebee's, Farm Fields, and the Dinner Table. The subject matter was interesting and informative but I am not a fan of the author as a researcher or storyteller. After this one I fell back on an author I like, Ann Lamott. I read Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith and as expected enjoyed it. Ann does tend to repeat some stories from book to book but it feels like talking to an old friend. I am currently reading 2 books at the same time due to the fact 1 of them will not fit in my purse to read while I am out and about. Letters of Note: An Eclectic Collection of  Correspondence Deserving a Wider Audience. I really think this is a book I want to own. I have loved reading the letters from various people and learning history through these letters. The other book I am reading is Becoming China's Bitch: and Nine More Catastrophes We Must Avoid Now. I am not very far into the book yet but like the author's centerist views and find his research to be thorough.



No comments:

Post a Comment