Monday, September 14, 2015

Body Telling Me I am Getting Old and Hatch Chilies

I just had one more story from last week that I wanted to get out there. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I went by another BBT member's house to pick up pea gravel for the boys' play area. She was super sweet and let me give her the trade items on Tuesday and then just drop by and pick up the rock the other nights since I was not sure how much I would need and how much my car would hold.

Tuesday would have been my dad's birthday so I wore his bowling shirt in memory as I do every year. After work I headed over to pick up the rock, after a visit with my trade partner and loading up the rock I headed by another BBT house for a trade of mulch. Once home I unloaded the rock trying to beat the storm that was coming in. After unloading the rock I went to work on dinner which used up some leftovers. I used some more of the leftover pork loin to make stroganoff. I like the recipe out of my better homes and garden cookbook for Beef Stroganoff although I have subbed different proteins just as I did this time. This dish also enabled me to use up some mushrooms and the last bit of sour cream I had on hand. After dinner came baths and play time for the boys. I used the time to try clean up the kitchen and realized I needed to get the ears of corn and the hatch chilies put up before I lost them to rot. So I turned on the grill and got the chilies roasting while I blanched the ears of corn and got them in the freezer. Once the chilies were roasted I put them in a bag to steam while I got the kids ready for bed. I knew the 1 hour wait time would end about the time I got the kids to sleep. Clark went down without to much of a struggle and then I realized Logan's bed needed to be made. He had also got real quite and when I went to check he was sitting on the floor of his room asleep with hotwheels in his hands. I took the hot wheels and tried to get him to go to bed. He mumbled something and then laid back down on the floor so I had to pick him up and put him in his bed. About this time the chilies were ready to be put up so I went in the kitchen to peel and deseed them. I put them in freezer safe containers and placed in the freezer. I was going to get a shower so I just rinsed my hands and then went to turn on the shower so the water could warm up. As the shower was warming I realized I needed to send a pm to my trade partner to let her know I had picked up the items from her porch. While I was typing a message I made the mistake of touching my eye! On all things that are holy it burned! I did not care if the water was warm or not I threw off my clothes and got in the shower. I did think to wash my hands and then hold my eyes open to the water. The thought did cross my mind though that water makes pepper oil hotter and that I could be making it worse but just could not imagine bathing my eyes in milk. Luckily the fire went away within a couple of minutes from my eyes but I had a cut on my hand and the capsaicin made it feel like I had rubbed muscle cream on my hands. Bedtime did not come early enough and despite being exhausted I did not sleep well. 
Wednesday was much of the same, I used more pork loin to make nachos and then called it done even though I had a bit left. 
Thursday night Logan was excited because it was the night before his birthday. Phillip took care of picking up cookies for his class which saved me a ton. 
Friday night I picked up what I hope is the last load of rock , then picked up some molds that a person in BBT is loaning me so we can make crayons for Logan's birthday party. I was going to stop for pizza but forgot so once home I unloaded the rock and then picked up Logan so he could help me. We went and picked up a pizza and pizza bread for him. Once home he told me all about his day and then Phillip went to help a friend. While Phillip was gone I worked out details for Saturday with Grandma, got the kids baths, Logan and I worked on making some crayons and got as much as I could together for Saturday. Clark went to sleep pretty easily and then Logan snuggled and watched TV while we waited for Phillip to get home. I am pretty sure I fell asleep before he made it home. He got Logan into his own bed and then was trying to talk to me and I am pretty sure I fell asleep while he was telling me a story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment