Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Books Aug 22nd through Sept 15th

I have been quite busy with books since the last post in addition to everything else going on in my life. I am still determined to get the books hanging on my currently reading list read!

I finished listening to Survival of the Sickest and while it got mixed reviews I found it interesting. After finishing this one I went back to finish listening to The Quiet Man. I knew going into the book that it would be slanted toward the Republican party but I still found some of the insider information interesting and it was a good listen. The next book I listened to was also a finish up and as far away from the Bush presidency as you could get. American Rose, the story of Gypsy Rose Lee was really not that great of a listen. I wanted to like it but really just could not get into it. The timeline was all over the place and nothing seemed to ever resolve. I was glad when I finished it and could start listening to Yes Please. I know a lot of people were not crazy about this book because it was not straight comedy but I enjoyed hearing about her life without the pretense of having to laugh at everything. It really was a quick read and so the next book up was Kitchen Confidential. This one had been on my list for a long time and finally I took the plunge and listened to it. I found it informative and easy to listen to although I am not marking it as one of the best books I have read. After finishing up with Anthony I started listening to Secret Survivors. This one was just a needless book and reminded me of what is wrong with Christian literature. Every chapter is supposed to focus on something horrible that happened to a person but the author begins each time with this is the story of what happened to so and so. If you met so and so you would love them because they are a great mom and wife. It seems to escape the author that I should love so and so because she is so and so and that being a great wife and mother is not all that makes a person. The next book also leads me to say "If someone suggests Essentialism to you as a great book do not believe them." It is down on my wish I had the time back book list. Now that those are finished I am currently listening to The Theft of Memory. This book is very reminiscent of Still Alice and since I am just starting it I have not developed a firm opinion yet.

As for books I have physically read versus listened to those include: ASAP Science which was a quick, fun read. Logan likes their Youtube channel and I thought I would see what the book included. The Soup Club Cookbook was next up and while I really love the concept I was not crazy about a lot of the recipes so I gave purchasing it a pass. The Wild Diet was up next and I just could not get very far in this one. It is basically the Paleo diet with Dairy. More Not So Big Solutions for Your Home was a book I hoping had some ideas for space saving in our current home and I was disappointed. And Finally the big finish for me was Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her. It had been on my currently reading list for almost 2 years so finishing it was great. It was an ok book, not stellar and not horrible. I am just happy to be finished reading it. As I finished it yesterday last night I started reading Plastic Free. We shall see if I learn any new tips for living a environmentally friendly life.

No comments:

Post a Comment