Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Books May 28th through June 21st

I did not realize I had not posted a book list in soo long. Here they are:


After finishing Better than Before which really did not get any better for me I switched topics  and listened to Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age which I gleaned some good information from. This was directly followed by The Big Disconnect: Protecting childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age. I also was able to glean some good information from this one although I think she over stated the link between parents on their cell phones and kids becoming addicts. After these 2 books I thought I should change topics again or I was going to go down a rabbit hole with cell phones and kids. Next up was $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America. This was a heartbreaking and informative book which I nearly finished and then had to turn in and wait my turn for again. I was able to finish last night and found it renewed my need to see reform in how the truly poor our treated by society. While I waited on $2.00 a Day to become available again I listened to Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation.  Several of my friends had been talking about the documentary that he made in conjunction with this book so I decided to listen to it and then watched the documentary. I can say as with most things I preferred the book to the documentary. The book was able to go more in depth and give more vignettes. I did enjoy getting a visual of the people discussed in the book but still preferred the "long" version. When I finished Cooked I was still waiting on $2.00 a Day so I started listening to Imbeciles: The Supreme Court, American Eugenics, and the Sterilization of Carrie Buck. This book is really hard to listen to due to the subject matter. I just can not believe how over and over in our country we systematically pick on a weaker group of people. I only have 2 days left on this borrow so I have renewed and will have to get in line again. In the meantime I stopped to finish $2.00 a Day last night and then restarted listening. I will try to get as much listened to as I can over the next couple of days but I have a feeling it will be a stop and restart proposition.


In print I have read Death in Yellowstone which was a book I read about in an article discussing the tourists who put the buffalo calf in their car. It was a good, informative guide to people dying in Yellowstone. After finishing this hefty volume I went with A Cowboy Returns which was exactly what it was supposed to be a romance novel. No deep thought was required. It was a series so I went on to Cowboy Proud and then finished up with Cowboy Strong.  After finishing these I am still not willing to dive into another non fiction so I am catching up on Stephanie Plum.  Takedown Twenty is one of the first that has made me laugh out loud in quite some time. After this I will hit the heavy subject matter again.


No comments:

Post a Comment