Monday, April 11, 2016

Second Week of Pantry Challenge Light

There was no produce co-op this last week as I chose to not participate. The amount I picked up last weekend was enough to last us about 3 weeks so it will be close to the end of the month before I participate again.

I went to Winco over the weekend and ended up going over budget but have some refunds to offset that amount.

Winco Trip:

1 (2) liter Pepsi
1 bag pistachios
2 gallons milk
2 cans refried beans
~2&1/4 lbs bananas
1 carton orange juice
1 Dublin bottling works peach soda
1 can enchilada sauce
2 trays of Flanken style ribs

Total: $32.87

Sub Total: $210.32

rebate refunds: $30.25

Total for the month (as of today): $180.07


I need to get some more milk and have another rebate on the way so I may make it out of this month meeting the pantry challenge as well as being under $200.00.


This week's menu plan:

What the plan actually looked like:

 Sun April 3rd:  I went out to grill the ribs and we did not have any propane. I tried to grill them using my cast iron grill pan but that filled the house with smoke. I ended up putting them on the broiling pan in the oven. served with asparagus sauteed in butter and garlic. 

Mon Apr 4th: I made the pork stir fry using up leftover pork from last week's menu. I cooked that with some carrots, the last of some frozen broccoli I had as well as some snow peas still left from a past basket. This was served with steamed rice.

Tue Apr 5th: One Pot Zucchini Mushroom Pasta. I used the peas from my garden which were not a full portion. If anyone else makes this increase the peas and mushrooms. I ended up scooping some of the liquid out as it was not even close to all absorbed. Phillip was not a fan of the zucchini and took almost all of it out of his dish.

Wed Apr 6th: Chicken Legs from the slow cooker seasoned with paprika, onion powder and granulated garlic. Served with homemade cinnamon apples that used up several apples that were getting a little soft. 

Thur Apr 7th: Using the leftover chicken from Wednesday and the leftover rice from Monday I tried this recipe for Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole. I cut the recipe in half as I was not trying to feed a bunch of people and the amount I had in leftovers was not enough for the original recipe. It was tasty and Phillip had a couple of helpings. 

Fri Apr 8th: Grilled cheese

Sat Apr 9th:  chicken nuggets ( the last of these from the freezer) with homemade shells and cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment