Monday, March 21, 2016

Week 3 Update From Pantry Challenge

I started out week 3 thinking I was over the shopping hump. I went to Target with Clark to pick up some diapers I had coupons on as well as a couple of items for projects at the house and felt no need to roam through the grocery section. There was a sense of euphoria that I had passed that hurdle and then we went to Winco for milk. Being in the midst of a grocery only store brought all the desires back. I wanted to check out the sales and stroll the aisles looking for good deals and dinner ideas. I managed to refrain but really had to work at it.

Winco Trip:
~3lbs bananas
2 gallons milk
1 pkg sliced cheese
1 pkg shredded cheese
1 pint blueberrues
1 lb strawberries
1 loaf wheat sandwich bread

Total: $14.02

 I was still on the mend over the weekend and trying to get a couple of projects done so I neglected to make a menu up until Monday.

It was harder to make one up as the meat stores are getting low and so I am trying to come up with more meatless dinners that are appetizing to the others in the house.

Sunday Mar 13th: Grilled hot dogs and potato chips ( totally healthy I know)

Mon Mar 14th: bean burritos with leftover tortillas and beans from Sunday lunch out after church. I added a can of refried beans to the leftovers and it was plenty with a smidge to spare. Logan will probably eat them Tuesday.

Tue Mar 15th: Veggie stir fry using snap peas, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, and noodles served with some pre-made dumplings and egg rolls.

Wed Mar 16th:  Pizza Ring which was good but I overlapped it too much which led to a couple of gooey spots. I will have to be careful next time when originally laying it out.

Thur Mar 17th: Grilled cheese! Served with fruit smoothies, using up some of the frozen fruit we have on hand.

Fri Mar 18th: I made slow cooker beef stew using this recipe. The changes I made first were: Cut the salt since I was using bouillon and soy sauce. I also used frozen lima beans because that is what I had and let them cook in the juice for 1 hour before serving. I also used only potatoes and carrots since I did not have the other suggested root veggies. Now the review: it was just ok. I generally do not like beef stew and so made this hoping I would grow to like it and to use up some stew meat I had in the freezer.

Sat Mar 19th: chicken nuggets and corn on the cob. I was making pies for Sunday's potluck and the whole chicken was still frozen so we went off plan. The pies turned out great!

On Saturday morning after produce pick up I went by Winco to pick up some milk and actually broke the rules. There was an awesome jar of blackberry jelly which is my favorite on the clearance rack. I ended up buying it.


Winco Trip:
2 gallons milk
1 pack of Best Damn Cherry Cola
1 jar of blackberry jam
2 tubes deodorant
~4 lbs bananas
~1&1/2 lbs grapes
6 donuts
2 lbs strawberries
 Total: $22.19



No comments:

Post a Comment