Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Pantry Challenge Catch Up

I started the last post at the beginning of the month when I had barely scratched the surface of this marathon of not grocery shopping.  This weekend I actually thought I was over the need to grocery shop and then I had to go into Winco for some milk and the desire to shop was hard to resist. Seeing good deals lining the aisles was really hard to resist but I made it out of there without breaking the code of dairy, milk and bread only.

The first week I was on a high with starting something new and despite urges to stop at the store I made it through fairly easily. I was still working from the previous produce pick up and this is what the menu looked like:


 And what actually happened was:

Sunday Feb 28th: pancakes with bacon ( always a winner here)

Mon Feb 29th: pizza ( had JBF drop off and the boys panicked so they bought pizza)

Tue Mar 1st: Corn Dog Mini Muffins which ended up looking like:
 not really like the recipe picture and did not taste as good as the option in the corn bread pan so I will probably never make them this way again.

Wed Mar 2nd: Grilled ribs and baked sweet potatoes

Thur Mar 3rd: Mushroom Florentine Pasta which was ok. I thought it clumped together too much due to the cheese, would have worked better as a casserole. Served this with the garlic breadsticks I bought on my last Winco trip before the challenge started.

Fri Mar 4th:I made a version of Baked Eggs in Ham Cups using my cast iron biscuit pan. They turned out good although it is really just another version of a quiche.

Sat Mar 5th: I took the Mushroom Florentine recipe and  browned some hamburger meat with jarred spaghetti sauce. I mixed that with the leftovers  and covered it with mozzarella and some Parmesan. Phillip did not realize it was a leftover remake. He thought it tasted like an alternate version of lasagna and really liked it. 


I made a trip to Winco on the 5th to replenish milk. It was really, really difficult to not buy anything other than the agreed upon items but I managed it. Clark was with me and the need to get out of the store quick helped with this. 

Winco Trip:
1 case diapers
2 donuts for Clark and I to eat while out and about
2 gallons milk
1 pkg wipes
1 loaf wheat sandwich bread
bar soap

Total: $32.12



No comments:

Post a Comment