Friday, May 6, 2016

Books April 16th Through May 5th


I could have just screamed! I was sooo close to finishing the audio version of  The Happiness Project and then it was due back at the library. I tried to renew it but there were people in line so I had to go to the end and wait. It has been over 2 weeks and I am finally next and will get a chance to finish it soon.  As I wait to get the email that I am back up for this book I have listened to A Mother's Reckoning by Sue Klebold. I found this book a bit repetitive but completely honest and sad. She has spent many years trying to understand her son and his actions. I really felt for her and the situation his actions put her in.  Mindfulness for Beginners was next up and I have mixed feelings on this. I am trying to be more mindful of my actions but the slow and low tone of the narrator/author of this book was mind numbing. I found myself thinking of other things just because I could not stand his voice. Is Everyone Else Hanging Out Without Me was a good find. I had been trying to find time to read the print version as I traded for it but just never could. Finding the audio version at the library allowed me to add it to my already read stack. This is the second Mindy Kaling book I have listened to and I am still not a fan. I find her tone pretentious but keep hearing from others that it is a persona she has adopted. Not sure how I stand on her versus her persona but I know I can drop any of her other books off my to read list without feeling guilty. Excitement is also what I felt when I started Think Like A Freak as I loved the Freakonomics books.  It was a quick listen and covered a lot of their podcasts which I was unaware of initially.


My print book selection looks like this::: If I Can't Have You: Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children. Long title for a true crime book which was ok. This book made me really sad and a touch angry. It was tragic that her husband despite everyone's best efforts never revealed where her body was or what happened to her and then 2 years later kills his sons and then himself.  After this one I wanted a little bit lighter reading so I am currently reading another year in the life experiment book. Not Buying it : My Year Without Shopping is my current choice in reading material.

No comments:

Post a Comment