Friday, July 15, 2016

Books Jun 22nd Through Jul 15th

In the time since the last post I finished listening to Imbeciles: The Supreme Court, American Eugenics, and the Sterilization of Carrie Buck.  This book made me angry and sad over and over again. It is amazing how many times over history we have made decisions for the poor without their consent or even knowledge.  I did feel like the book went on a little too long about each players past. After finishing with this one I listened to The More of Less which did not leave enough of an impression on me to even comment on it here.  I went back to a story of the treatment of the poor and women in the past with Terrible Typhoid Mary: A True Story of the Deadliest Cook in America . Mary was the first known passive carrier. She never developed the disease but passed it on in anything uncooked she prepared. Many people were discovered after Mary but never received the treatment or notoriety that she did. Once I finished this one I moved on to another book about the poor from the perspective of a doctor who treated them in the ICU. Cook County ICU: 30 Years of Unforgettable Patients and Odd Cases received some bad reviews but I thought it was a decent book. He seemed to really care for his patients and was easy to listen to.  Next up was a book from the same time period as Imbeciles and Typhoid Mary. It was interesting and full of information that was completely new to me and from a trustworthy source. Oneida: From Free Love Utopia to Well-Set Table written by one of the original member's descendents. It was a quick listen and allowed me to go into Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World: How One Family Learned That Saying No Can Lead to Life's Biggest Yes. I got an hour into this book and quit it. This is not something I do often as I think starting a book means finishing it but this book was horrible. There were a couple of reasons with one being it was another popular blogger trying to translate a blog into a book. The other was that she never seemed to get to the Entitled portion of the book which is why I checked it out. Over an hour in and she was still discussing her religious views. Even being a christian I found her views bigoted. This freed me up to listen to The Name of God is Mercy by Pope Francis.  My next book was totally off subject NPR Laughter Therapy: A Comedy Collection for the Chronically Serious.  It was honestly not that funny but was something to listen to in the wake of all the serious books I had been listening to.  Again, it was a short listen so I started on 438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea. Once I got into this one I had to take a break. It is a true story and so I know how it is going to end, I had just reached a point where I know bad stuff is about to happen and needed a rest. I will go back and finish it soon.


Print books have been moving along also.  I finished Takedown Twenty and put the next one on my check out list. While they are not as funny as when the series first started I did laugh out loud a couple of times. I never seem to learn and checked out another year experiment books. A Year Without Made in China was a waste of my time. The project was not undertook with any reason, understanding or seeming point other than writing a book. Next book was better although I am not sure they had a solution to the issue, at least I did not feel I found an answer but I finished Cradle to Cradle anyway. I have two books going at the same time right now trying to get them both off my list.  Square Foot Gardening  is inspiring me to rethink my raised beds. Frugal Luxuries: Simple Pleasures to Enhance Your Life and Comfort Your Soul is also one I have been trying to finish and now I am making headway.

I am just going to list the cookbooks I scanned through during this time as well:

Cast Iron Cooking: 50 Gourmet-Quality Dishes from Entrees to Dessert
Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food that Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
The Everything Cast Iron Cookbook
The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook: A Treasury of Timeless, Delicious Recipes
Cook It in Cast Iron: Kitchen- Tested  Recipes for the One Pan That Does it All (Cook's Country)
The Homesick Texan Cookbook
 The Make Ahead Cookbook
and The Third Thursday Community Potluck  Cookbook: Recipes and Stories to Celebrate the Bounty of the Moment



No comments:

Post a Comment