Monday, January 23, 2017

Books Jan 10th Through Jan 23rd


Starting off the post with the books I have listened to seems like a good trend as there tends to be more of those.
I finished My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg and while it was not what I thought it was going to be I still found it interesting.  After Ruth I listened to Bryan Cranston narrate his book A Life In Parts. I truly enjoyed this book and was surprised to find out the number of series I watched that he was in even if it was a bit part. I was cleaning around the house and this one is fairly short so I listened to it in nearly 1 sitting. Next up was a book I have mixed feelings about again it was narrated by the author and I can see where Shonda Rhimes makes a great TV author but most of the book I was zoning out or thinking she was arrogant. I get her point that you need to be confident in who you are and what you have accomplished but I also know it can easily cross a line into arrogance and I think that is where she is. The book I was listening to was Year of Yes: How to Dance it Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person.  After wading through the end of this one I started a heavy book. Currently I am listening to White Trash: The 400-Year Old Untold History of Class in America. This one is a long, history book so I may end up having to recheck it out in order to finish.

Kindle books have continued to be disappointing. I skipped great sections of Mermen by Mimi Jean Pamfiloff because it was just horrid. I have no desire to continue this series and want to warn off any other possible readers. After this one I checked out The Beautiful Ashes by Jeanine Frost who I generally like. This one was not horrible but not good enough for me to check out the rest of the series when they come out.  I am currently not reading any other kindle books.

Print books are going along at a slower pace. I finished I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything For Our Kids and liked it. Even though  I am not a teacher I found the book useful in staying aware of the kids in your life and just being there for them.  I went back to the books on my to-read list after finishing that one. I am currently reading The American Way of Eating: Undercover at WalMart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table. The review for this book will come after I finish it as I am still digesting some issues I have with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment