Wednesday, January 6, 2016

First Week and Already Overthinking Things

I make a decision and then start thinking about it and 101 conditions come up that I did not consider originally. I am really the classic overthinker! My goal of $50 a week sounded great at first and then I made my first trip to the grocery store on Saturday. The adjustment to weekly shopping was hard but then I also started wondering does my week start on Sunday or is it Saturday to Saturday? Meaning was the money I spent on Saturday the 2nd all I have until the 9th? Do I "disperse" $50 more to myself on Sunday and spend it throughout the week?

Once I thought through things I decided that the money I spent on Saturday the 2nd counts for this week, as if I had taken it out on the 3rd. The weekend is just a convenient time for me to shop so either weekend day counts toward the next week. I am also going to take the money out in cash to make sure that is all I spend.

It was really hard to pass on some great clearance deals I came across since they would have been great to have for the rest of the month. I did stock up on some sale items at one of the stores though and think the future weeks will have to have a cushion for staples that I can get at a good price.

I did overspend my first week's budget because I did not stick with the cash only rule and it will have to come out of next week's money. I also can not find my receipt from Albertson's so will round up the total which was close to $30, once I find the receipt I will update the post.


Albertson's            $30.00

Target:                   $25.60
Dishwasher Detergent
2 bags M&M's
2 6-packs of juice
1 bottle pasta sauce
1 pkg chicken legs
2 boxes of yogurt
2 containers of greek yogurt
2 pkgs sliced cheese
1 pkg erasers
3 Christmas clearance items

Winco:               $17.62
1 bottle juice
1 pkg pepperoni
2 pkgs smoked sausage
1 6-pack juice
2 boxes snack cakes
1 pkg tostada shells
4 pkgs ramen noodles

Mrs. Baird's bread outlet:    $7.85 ( this one really will last most of the month)

Trip to Target on Jan 5th:           $8.12

1 bunch spinach
2 pkgs cheese sticks

Total:           $89.19

That leaves me with $10.81 for next week. Admittedly several of the items I purchased will last over the 2 week period and I have many items in the freezer to use but this is not an easy task!

Update!!!!!

I found the receipt at home from the Albertson's trip and the total was $28.22 so pretty close to $30.00 as I remembered. 
Items purchased were:
2 6-packs of Pepsi
1 Gerber baby snack
1 pkg cashew halves
2 bottles of juice
2 cans tomatoes with green chilies (mild)
5 cans of petite diced tomatoes
2 bags tortilla chips
5 Lean Cuisine meals
2 pkgs frozen corn
1 pkg frozen broccoli

This makes my total for the week actually  $87.41 with $12.59 available for next week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment