Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Birthday Weekend

Saturday was my 40th birthday....It was a lot rougher turning 40 than 30.  I am not totally sure why it bothered me more than 30 but it did. Originally my friends, sisters and I were going to plan a Vegas trip for my 40th but then Clark surprised us and Phillip got his pink slip. Plans had to adapt and Vegas was put on hold.

Anyway I chose to celebrate my birthday by taking the kids to the Fort Worth Nature Center to see snakes. The Dallas Fort Worth Herpetelogical Society brings snakes and frogs out to the nature center once a year and talks to anyone who wants to listen about them. Logan was excited to go and it was a fun trip. After looking at snakes we took one of the shorter hikes offered around the grounds. I had never been to the nature center so I thought we would drive around it to see the lay of the land for future hikes. Due to all the rain this year the Trinity river has risen and covered a good portion of the trails. After hiking we went to lunch at McDonald's so we could eat, play and meet up with Loralee. She came home to play with Logan which always makes his day. On the way home I stopped by the oil change place so they could check a leak I have developed and then by the library. An exciting 40th birthday!

Dinner on Friday evening was pizza and pizza bread as Logan calls it. I used some pizza dough I bought on clearance as well as the remaining sauce from last pizza night. The toppings were half pepperoni and half ham. The pizza bread was made by brushing butter over the dough and topping with Parmesan cheese, minced garlic and Italian seasoning.

Pretty tasty dinner.

Anyway, I had 1&1/2 ham steaks left from the pizza so on Saturday I grilled those and served with asparagus which I sauteed in butter/olive oil and garlic. It was a nice, simple dinner for my birthday. I did bake some brownies for dessert, they did not last long at all.

Sunday was church and then lunch with some friends. We headed to the #1 bean place Rosa's and had a nice lunch. I was hoping for a nap once home and that was almost going to happen until Turbo woke up Clark and so we instead played, cleaned and ran a couple of errands. Dinner was a couple of baked tilapia filets that I found in the bottom of the freezer. Phillip's filet gets a butter cracker topping and mine usually just gets a tiny bit of blackened seasoning. This was served with a garden salad which is what I really wanted for dinner.

Yesterday was a day at the house again playing with the kids and cleaning. The kitchen got a good clean up including cleaning out the fridge which is always a chore but sorely needed.  I even weeded through the condiments in the door!

 I need to oil soap the cabinets still but will be happy with what I managed to get done so far. Phillip grilled out burgers for dinner and I had mine with some chips.

I was planning on putting some chicken in the crock pot this morning to make Cream Cheese Crock Pot Chicken but I spent too much time goofing around with Clark and rounding up my stuff. I will have to think of something else to use up the leftover corn that is in the fridge.

I am also thinking about my June menu as more planning is in order since I know I have gone over my grocery budget again this month. I will post totals hopefully tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment