Monday, May 4, 2015

Going Back to Thursday, the Ant Invasion and May Beginning Totals

Thursday was the start of  4 days of nonsense that I do not want to repeat. Got up on Thursday for work, a day I needed to be in early for a meeting. The first thing to not work out was the fact I discovered ants in the glasses/bottles cabinet. They were the small "sugar" ants and I could not place where they were coming in but knew it was not the usual spot near the sink. I started pulling stuff out but decided to abandon the job for a later time. Next thing to go wrong was trying to iron pants for the day only to discover a strange greasy spot on EVERY pair that I was going to wear. After a frantic wardrobe change and Phillip telling me I do not have time to deal with the ants I get out the door. The routine is to take the tiny one to the sitter first and then Logan to school. I can then jump on the highway and head to work. This time when dropping off the tiny one the sitter closed the door and told me she needed to tell me something. I admit selfishly I started to panic thinking she was going to quit on us after almost 6 years. The news was not that but it was some bad health news for her husband. She will be flying back and forth to Atlanta while he gets treatment. I of course could not tell her I was in a hurry while she gave me this news so the only choice was too really hurry Logan to school and then race to work. The meeting had started but I had not missed anything once I arrived at work. Phillip went on another interview which we are praying leads to employment and then he headed home to deal with ants. He thinks he found where they were coming in and took care of the issue, he also took all the stuff out of the cabinets and started running them through the dishwasher, wiping the cabinets down and putting the stuff back.

Dinner was a not so fabulous affair, so uneventful I can not remember what it was.

Friday was payday, jumping for joy! I went ahead and paid the bills and made out my budget for the month. This month there is no choice but to stick to the budget. On the way home I went by Sprouts to take advantage of their 72 hour sale.
Since our SNAP is not loaded until the 3rd this purchase came out of the month's cash. After this I went home, unloaded and put these items up. The boys and I then loaded up to go to Target for some formula and other items I had coupons for.  Between the coupons, WIC and a gift card I had from previous purchases we got out of there for nothing. The total was $1.58 before the gift card. Pictures are going to have to become habit but at this point they are not so I will just list the purchases.
Sprouts Purchase:
6 containers of blackberries
1 watermelon
3 bags of  chips
1/2 pound of bulk great northern beans
8 chicken thighs
$19.13

Target Purchase:
1 can Similac
2 packages of Horizon peanut butter sandwich crackers
2 Hotwheels which Logan was going to pay for out of his money
2 packages of dog treats
nothing out of pocket

While in Target I noticed a couple of other sale items that I could print coupons for so we decided to come back once that was taken care of.

The downside on Friday was Phillip had decided to replace the filters on our microwave vent a hood since we had some and they were in need. He was able to get the facing off with no issue as we have been very careful with it. We purchased it as a floor model 9 years ago and one of the clips was broken which is why we got such a deal on it. Getting it off turned out not to be the issue, as he was washing it the other clip broke so there was no way to put it back on. The cheapest he was able to find one online or locally was $30.00 so that is what we did. It arrived Saturday and was installed yesterday. The whole situation just upsets me not only because of the unexpected expense but just the fact that nothing is made to last anymore and since most of our items are about the same age they seem to be going out in concert now. We have already replaced parts on the dryer, dishwasher and the oven. Now the washing machine needs some work as well as the ice maker on the fridge, this was just the icing for me. 

Saturday I tried to put all this out of my mind and just get stuff taken care of. The tiny one decided that 5:30am was a good time to get up so we played until 7:00am when everyone else got up. I did manage to get us out of the house a little after 9:00am so I could get by the post office before it was busy to mail off some items I sold. We then went by the library and put some stuff in the dropbox. After this we headed toward the church. Phillip was there weedeating and had hoped to take Logan with him to visit Loralee but we did not hear from her before he left. I went ahead and took Logan to play and dry my pants! I managed to drop a cup on tea in my lap while in the car. Luckily it was not sweet so the sugar did not make me sticky, just needed a little bit of Mr. Sun as Logan says to dry out. I stopped at the dealership also to report my mileage to Hyundai as part of a class action lawsuit. They reimburse all Hyundai owners from certain years for misrepresenting the MPG on the cars. If I am on that side of town I stop in and this was one of those days.

After leaving to head back to our side of town the tiny one and I stopped at JoAnn's to get some supplies for my Etsy sale. He fell asleep after leaving the store so I managed to get business taken care of at the library in silence. Once again stuff I had turned in was not checked in and was just put back on the shelves. I talked to the librarian I know this time and I think she has addressed the issue now so hopefully this does not keep happening. Clark was still asleep when we got home so I started work on my Etsy sale but found Phillip was going to have to go to the junk yard to get a couple more buckles for me. This meant I could lay down and rest a bit which I happily did. I really did not get to sleep but resting was nice.

Clark was really happy after his nap and he played great while I cleaned up their room. He of course wants to be nosy and open the drawers that hold his brother's toys but he is not tall enough to see in. It will not be long and I will hear more "MAMA, he is touching my stuff"

Phillip came home without Logan as they convinced him that he needed more play time with his friend. Once it was time to meet Logan we all piled into the car and headed to the meeting spot. We were all disappointed to see the field of bluebonnets had been mowed down. Phillip decided we should stop by Target on the way home since we would be passing it and take care of getting the items I had coupons on while the gift card sale was still going on. Sooo Target saw us come through again. This time it took a little pestering to get the deals that were advertised. They were in the process of changing out the signs for the new ad cycle. I wanted to be sure what I had planned was still viable so I asked an employee working near the baby stuff. She scanned the diapers for me and said yes the buy 2 get a $10.00 gift card was still valid. We picked up the 2 we wanted and along with another can of formula and some q-tips headed to check out. The cashier said that they did not ring up with the gift card promo and asked me about 4 times if I wanted him to check on the promo.  This required me to repeat myself 4 times that yes I wanted him to check on it. He eventually got another employee who scanned the diapers with her PDA and said yes I should get the gift card. Persistence pays off!
Target Purchase:
1 can Similac
2 boxes 96 count diapers
1 box q-tips
$34.04

After all the running around on Saturday I did not want to go home and cook so I took some money out of my lunch budget and we had dinner at Rosa's. It was a nice, quick family dinner.  The small bit of info I had forgot while out Saturday was that Sunday was potluck at church so I had to make a blackberry cobbler once home. Phillip had smoked a roast the day before so he was covered. Once home Clark got his bath while Logan played for a little bit. Then Logan got in the tub while I got the cobbler in the oven. Logan was out and getting ready for bed and Clark was asleep by the time I pulled the cobbler out of the oven.

Sunday morning the kids slept until 7:30am which was still earlier than we had to get going. We played for a little bit and then Phillip made cinnamon sugar toast for breakfast. After church we enjoyed potluck and then headed home. Both kids were asleep when we got home so we laid down also. It lasted about an hour which was glorious. I wanted to finish my grocery shopping now that SNAP was available. The kids and I loaded up and headed to the store while Phillip took his math final online. The Kroger receipt is not in front of me so I can not give an itemized list or SNAP totals right now. Some of the items I had gone for were not available so I will be out again before the end of the month which is fine. Several of the items I purchased had additional rebate offers on some of the apps I use so I will break those down also.

Needless to say the weekend felt a bit hodgepodge. I am hoping this week settles down a little and I have a feeling with more rain moving in it will. Tonight I need to take care of my monthly calendar so I do not miss anything or have to prepare at the last minute like the blackberry cobbler.

No comments:

Post a Comment