Thursday, June 25, 2015

Creative Dinners Continue!

Ok , there was really no creative dinner on Tuesday night. It was a night of running in which I put nearly 100 miles on my car. I left work and went to my friend's house who happens to be a beekeeper. He had been called out to get a hive out of someone's way and it has a ton of honey in it so he was jarring it up and selling his wares. I picked up 1 jar for a coworker and traded him some of my homemade cranberry liqueur for mine. I will take a picture of the honey, it is amazing and rich. After leaving his house I went to pick up Logan who was at karate with his friend Loralee. He had spent the day with Loralee just having fun and then went to her karate class with her. I was curious whether he would like karate or not and thought this would be a good way to tell before we spend any money on it. Mind you this was 30+ miles from where I traded the honey and to a location I had never been before. I called and Loralee's dad told me the basics of how to get there which initially sounded easy enough. Take XXXX road to named road ( which turned out to be spelled wrong) make a left and then make another left when you get to the end of the black pole fence and we will be there in a building, you will see a bunch of trucks.  I got to the neighborhood which was in the middle of nowhere and after driving completely around the neighborhood (which it turns out was a loop) I called her dad back to say I can not find you! He said he would go out to the street with Logan so I could see them and then he was asking did you go left? Yes I went left but I passed 4 black pole fences so I am not sure if I went left at the right one! After circling around again I finally saw them and discovered I would never have found them if they did not come out to the street! The whole place was covered in trees, I could not see the cars/trucks parked and the building they were in. I am directionally challenged which he did not know. I need really specific directions with landmarks that are unique which a black pole fence in this part of the world is not! The dojo turned out to be an outdoor one so it was hot. Logan was not in the class but he did not want to leave, he was incredibly sad that he was not in the class and this made me think karate might be the thing for him. After a sad Logan and I left there we headed home which was another 30ish miles from this location. We got home about 8:30 with Logan eating a sandwich in the car which his quick thinking dada had packed for him. Once home Phillip had fed and bathed the tiny one and ate some leftovers himself so I had watermelon. I know it is not a complete meal but after that trek around the area watermelon tasted yummy.


Yesterday I spent a good part of the day trying to think of something I could make with the leftover pork loin without stopping for any more ingredients. The grocery budget for this month is done for and I really need to use what I already have at home. I finally gave in to the soft taco option since the only thing I "needed" was sour cream. I ended up getting sour cream and a can of black beans since I like more of a burrito instead of a taco. This was really the least expensive option I could come up with since we would be able to use the sour cream beyond last nights dinner.
Here is the before picture. I lucked out and had the Spanish rice I think from a trade in the cabinet. Originally I was going to fix just plain white rice but this gave it a good flavor. The cheese was purchased last month I believe on sale and with a coupon. Anyway, I started the rice first since I knew it would take the longest to get done. Next I sliced the pork up thin and put it in a pot with some teriyaki sauce and some water to steam/warm. I also put the black beans on the stove to cook while I grated the cheese and warmed the tortillas on the cast iron griddle I have. It turned out to be a really good dinner that I wanted to bring for lunch today but was eating up some older leftovers.
This is a bad picture again with my cell phone of the finished product. If we had lettuce it would have been more colorful but not sure that would have added much to the flavor.

As promised, here is a picture of the list from the weekend with most of the items still on it. I did finish one last night but that was 3 days after I was hoping to get it done.




No comments:

Post a Comment